Three Way Ball Valves: Controlling direction of flow

All Hayward® three way ball valves have true union bodies which can be separated from the pipe connections, enabling servicing (adjustment or replacement) of the valve's seats and seals without disassembly of the pipeline.

Hayward’s three way ball valves are available in PVC and CPVC materials, and either material can be provided with your choice of EPDM or FPM stem o-ring seals.  There are two distinct types of three way ball valves body styles, standard (bottom inlet) and  lateral (side inlet).

HAYWARD THREE WAY BALL VALVE BOTTOM INLETHAYWARD THREE WAY BALL VALVE SIDE INLETThe Hayward® TW series (illustrated on the left) has a bottom inlet connection relative to the valves handle. 

Compared to the TW series, Hayward's LA series (illustrated on the right) has a side inlet, relative to the valve's handle.

The flow into the valve can be through any of the three ports; for example you might want to divert flow from either port to a common port or from the common line to both or alternate ports.

Each valve has a datasheet illustrating the different diverting balls available and their respective flow path with the handle at 0°, 90° and 180°.  The diverting balls are drilled in three different styles referred to as NT, TW and TP.

Hayward NT diverting ball  Hayward TW diverting ball  Hayward TP diverting ball
3 hole, no off position  2 holes, center is off  3 holes, equal flow, center off 

Hayward diverting ball configurationsThe standard ball for the "TW" series is the "TW" ball, however, the other styles can be substituted without additional cost or lead time.  The handle can be rotated 180°.

The datasheet for LA series illustrates the diverter ball design for both manual and automatic actuated versions of the valve per the illustration to the left. The handle for the LA series can be rotated 90°.

How to select a ball valve for your application?

  • Select the most compatible materials of construction for the valve body and o-ring seals.

  • Determine the desired connection type.

  • Download Hayward’s complete Engineering Product Guide for additional selection criteria, such as flow coefficient values, water hammer calculations and other technical formulas.

  • Use the navigation menu above to compare pricing, note the part number and call, email or fax your order!

Additional Resources (PDF files)


Threaded connections are NPT (American Standard) tapered pipe threads and it is suggested that a non-petroleum based sealant such as PTFE (Teflon™) plumbers tape is applied to your inlet/outlet pipe connections.

Flanged connections conform to ANSI 150# dimensions and a 1/8” thick full face gasket having a durometer rating between 50 and 70 is required for proper sealing. The bolts, nuts and washers should be properly lubricated and unless otherwise specified, Hayward’s typical scope of supply is only the valve (gaskets, bolts, nuts, washers and PTFE tape supplied by others).

If you are not sure which ball valve is most appropriate for your application, send us an inquiry, we typically reply quickly, certainly within 24 hours.